Saturday, March 25, 2006

Moving on from March Madness...

...except for the fact that the Stanford women are beating Oklahoma right now on the hardwood, but I'm afraid to speak too soon.

I don't have the time or resources to put together a serious political blog, but fortunately, there are many who do, and there are some top-notch sites out there. I am a regular visitor to SmirkingChimp.com, but I have also became a major follower of two more sites: Media Matters and David Sirota (the Sirotablog). Media Matters is largely a creation of David Brock, a former conservative who eventually became disenchanted with the right-- he has written two particularly well-received books in recent years, "Blinded by the Right" and "The Republican Noise Machine." I've only read the latter of the two, which detailed how the right wing has come to dominate the airwaves. The Media Matters site keeps a tab of media distortions by both the mainstream and the overtly right-wing press-- believe me, that's a full-time job. David Sirota is a long-time progressive activist who does an incredible job of monitoring political corruption and calling out what many refer to as DINOs ("Democrats In Name Only"). I'll also give a shout-out to Daily Kos as another great site. Fortunately, I know there are plenty more progressive sites and blogs out there, and I'll keep looking...

I've been reading "American Dynasty," a book about the Bush family written by former Republican activist Kevin Phillips (who has left the party and registered as an independent). All I can say right now is this: the amount of corruption and insider dealings in the current administration is beyond mind-boggling. And when you include the rising tide of worldwide religious extremism (particularly of the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim varieties) in the overall equation, the future looks quite, uh, contentious...

Further reading I plan on doing: "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins, "Fooled Again" by Mark Crispin Miller, "The Long Emergency" by James Howard Kunstler, and "The Cheating Culture" by David Callahan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home