Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Go Ned Lamont!

Joe Lieberman got served. So many people are up in arms..."Oh, no! The BLOGOSPHERE is ruining America! These rabble-rousers are taking legitimate power away from the editorial boards of the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, and Fox News, the very people we're supposed to trust because they're well-spoken, neatly-groomed, and they come from good homes and stuff! This is, well, just, like, you know, anarchy! Whatever shall we do?!"

The owning class is panicking, and it's a beautiful sight to see.

One reason I haven't been blogging much lately: I've had too much fun reading the writings of others. Shouts out to Media Matters, David Sirota, Greg Palast, and Daily Kos.

Right now, I'm listening to the Dave Scott Jazz Quartet. I really dig his new CD, "Why Must It Be." I've already listened to his tune "Dove's Dream" several times. Someday I'll get to the rest of the CD...check out Dave's site: www.davescott.org.

In other news, Maurice Clarett is at it again...what a sad story. A year ago, the Denver Broncos took a chance and drafted him after his controversial stint at Ohio State, but quickly decided he didn't figure into their plans. Less than four months later, Clarett allegedly robbed a guy at gunpoint outside of a bar in Columbus, and his latest feat of bravery (last night) was leading cops on a high-speed chase on Interstate 70. The end result: the former star running back was maced and subdued by cops, and several loaded automatic weapons were subsequently found in his SUV. All this while getting ready to play for the Mahoning Valley Hitmen of the Eastern Indoor Football League.

From now on, I will not eat at any San Francisco restaurant that doesn't have an inspection score well into the 90's. I've been going to this dim sum place at 6th and Clement for a while (score: 87), and I think my latest meal there is the most likely reason I've been consuming little other than Jell-O, crackers, Sprite, and Immodium for the past 36 hours. My willingness to go to this restaurant after seeing the posted score is indicative of a quandary I've had my whole life: my battle with perfectionism. I've certainly heard, "Gee, Tom, lighten up a little, willya?" in my life, particularly when it comes to safety (making sure I wait long enough after drinking before I drive, et cetera), and out of fear of being perceived as a spoil-sport, sometimes I internalize that message and let my guard down. "So they got an 87...that's still a B+...and their food is tasty!" Well, an "87" score is a clear indication that the health inspectors found tangible violations of sanitation standards...I think one risk of dim sum/buffet restaurants is that meat dishes can end up sitting out for a long time. Fortunately, I'm feeling a lot better, though not 100 percent.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home