Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Airborne tablets, Ricola drops, Sudafed...

This has not been a good year so far for my immune system...bug after bug after bug. I know that I'm not alone, by any stretch of the imagination, but that doesn't help. What's even worse is that in-between state of being, in which I'm not sick enough to completely collapse, but not healthy enough to do anything but blot my nose for 24 hours straight. Good times!

If nothing else, I've been cooped up watching a lot of Bill Hicks on DVD...watching Lewis Black commentaries online...listening to Mike Malloy on Air America. I'm feeling the fire again, even if my nose is running incessantly.

In addition to my day's choice of entertainment, I had the good fortune of recording a few days ago with one of my favorite composers, The Artist Currently Known as Admiral Ted Brinkley (Semi-Ret.). I'll keep you all posted on the impending release date of the CD. I've been a fan of the Admiral since about 1993, when I first met him, and the roster of musicians he has assembled is first-rate. Our show at the Community Music Center in San Francisco in January 2004 received glowing reviews.

I've almost finished reading "The Trouble With Cinderella: An Outline of Identity" by Artie Shaw. Yes, the clarinetist often at the top of the heap during the Swing Era. Definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time. I highly recommend it, particularly to anyone who wants to make a serious go of it as a professional performer. Artie was always someone who called it as he saw it, and his insights in "Cinderella" could save a lot of people a lot of grief. Going through it, I have to constantly remind myself that Shaw finished this book in 1952, at the height of McCarthy-ist, "Jell-O conformity" (in the words of Hunter S. Thompson) in this country.

Some musicians I want to listen to: Tony Scott, John Carter, Ben Goldberg, Chris Speed, Omer Simeon, Jimmy Hamilton, Ake "Stan" Hasselgaard, Mwata Bowden, and Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five. A clarinet theme here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home